In 2010 the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, IFFGD, conducted an online survey of those who live with and manage fecal, or bowel, incontinence.
A total of 142 people whose incontinence was not caused by irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or other intestinal diseases completed the survey.
The results show what it is really like to live with fecal incontinence and how truly disruptive it is to daily life.
Suffering In Silence
We already know many people suffering from FI don’t seek treatment. The majority of responders in the IFFGD survey had not been diagnosed by a physician most often citing reasons such as:
- Too embarrassed to bring it up
- Feel they can manage the condition on their own
- They have mentioned it, but their physicians implied there is not much to be done about it or it is a normal part of aging
The survey indicated 68% of the survey respondents had never been diagnosed by a physician.
Most of the people who had been diagnosed talked to their physicians within 3 years after their symptoms first began. Typically, they consulted 1 or 2 physicians before receiving a diagnosis; and more than one-third visited 3 or more physicians before receiving their diagnosis.
Quality of Life
People who experience incontinence are often embarrassment about the condition and also live with discomfort and disruption in their daily lives, often missing work and social activities.
- 40% of patients who were diagnosed with FI report the condition often interferes with their daily activities, 29% report it always interferes, and 31% report it sometimes interferes with daily activities
- More than one-third (38%) of patients who were been diagnosed and one-quarter (26%) of those who have not been diagnosed say they have missed work in the previous 3 months due to their FI.
- The majority of all responders say they had missed social activities in the previous 3 months due to their FI (73% of diagnosed and 55% of undiagnosed). Over one-third of those who missed activities because of their FI missed more than 5 activities
CRS Cares And We Can Help
The physicians and staff at Colon & Rectal Specialists don’t want anyone to suffer from fecal and bowel incontinence. We know the topic can be hard to discuss but is the first step towards getting relief and getting your life back. Like our name says, we specialize in colon and rectal disorders and are equipped to diagnose and start a treatment plan.
Today there are many convenient treatment options including Solesta and InToneMV that can provide relief and don’t involve surgery. InToneMV treatments can even be done in the privacy of your own home and are so effective the manufacturer has a money back guarantee.
Get Your Life Back
The sooner you get started the sooner you can get your life back.